Tuesday 24 November 2020

The Self (Atman)

 

Janaka, Emperor of Videha, rose from his lounge, humbly approached Yajnavalkya and said: Salutation to you, O Yajnavalkya. Please instruct me. Yajnavalkya said: Your Majesty, as one who wishes to go a long distance would procure a chariot or a ship, even so you have fully equipped your mind with so many secret names of Brahman. You are also honoured and wealthy; you have studied the Vedas and heard the Upanishads. But do you know where you will go when you are released from this body? Venerable Sir, I do not know where I shall go. [Yajueda, Brihadaranyaka Upanishad IV, II-Concerning The Self, 1[

   But if the life (i.e. living self) leaves one of its branches, that branch withers; if it leaves a second, that branch withers; if it leaves a third, that branch withers. If it leaves the whole tree, the whole three withers. In exactly the same manner, my dear, said he, know this: This body dies, bereft of the living self; but the living self dies not. Now, that which is the subtle essence-in it all that exists has its self. That is the True. That is the Self. That thou art, Shvetaketu. Please, venerable Sir, give me further instruction, said the son. So be it, my dear, the father replied. [Sama Veda, Chandogya Upanishad VI, XI - The Indestructibility of the Jiva, 3]

Bring me a fruit of that Nyagrodha (banyan) tree. Here it is' venerable Sir. Break it. It is broken, venerable Sir. What do you see there? These seeds, exceedingly small, Break one of these, my son. It is broken, venerable Sir. What do you see there? Nothing at all, venerable Sir.

The father said: That subtle essence, my dear, which you do not perceive there-from that very essence this great nyagrodha arises. Believe me, my dear. [Sama Veda, Chandogya Upanishad VI, XII - The Birth of the Gross from the Subtle, 2]

No comments:

Post a Comment