Thursday 26 December 2019

In the Beginning

   In the beginning, my dear, this universe was Being (Sat) alone, one only without a second. Some say that in the beginning this was non-being (asat) alone, one only without a second; and from that non-being, being was born. Aruni said: But how, indeed, could it be thus, my dear? How could Being be born from non-being? No, my dear, it was Being alone that existed in the beginning, one only without a second. It (Being, or Brahman) thought: 'May I be many; may I grow forth.' It created fire. That fire thought: 'May I be many; may I grow forth.' It created water. That is why, whenever a person is hot and perspires, water is produced from fire (heat) alone.  Homage to Death, the end of life! Here rest your breath, both inward and outward! May the life of this man be maintained in the realm of the Sun, in the world of deathlessness! The power of God has raised him up, the heavenly Drink has raised him up, the powers of the Storm, of Heaven and of Fire, have raised him up to well-being. [Atharva Veda VIII, 1, 1-2].That water thought: 'May I be many; may I grow forth.' It created food (i.e. earth). That is why, whenever it rains anywhere, abundant food is produced. From water alone is edible food produced.[Samavda, Chandogya Upanishad VI, II - Brahman: the Cause of the Universe,1-4]
Of all these living beings, there are only three origins: those born from an egg, those born from a living being and those born from a sprout.[Sama Veda, Chandogya Upanishad VI, III - The Threefold Development, 1]
These glorious drops are my health and salvation: they strengthen my joints as thongs do a cart. May these droplets guard my foot lest it stumble and chase from my body all manner of ills.Make shine brightly like fire produced by friction. Illumine us, make us ever more prosperous. Enthused by you, Soma, I find myself rich! Enter within us for our well-being.With hearts inspired may we relish the Juice like treasure inherited from our Fathers! Lengthen our days, King Soma, as the sun causes the shining days to grow longer[Rig Veda VIII, 48,5-7]

No comments:

Post a Comment