Tuesday 16 June 2015

I-ness (aham-bhava) and Ego (ahamkar)

  There are differences in the meaning and connotation of these terms we call ego, I-ness, egotism, etc. In the strict sense of the term 'ego' means the 'I-ness'; but it is often mistaken for the bloated ego, pride, and a sort of behaviour, 'show-off', that irritates others. it is bragging about oneself. People do not like persons who boast of their achievements, pride, with a tinge of contempt for others associated with this self-appreciation. People would like to appreciate a person who is humble, unassuming, and who respects others. But, it is the nature of humans to shine in the Glory of the Lord, shine like the Sun! Everybody wants to show off, one-upmanship and, this is a competitive world. Everybody wants to exhibit himself, his achievements, and make himself known and become popular in society. It gives some sort of satisfaction, satisfies the 'ego'. This satisfaction is only transitory and there is no end to it! People want accolades, prizes, certificates and appreciation from others. This is the basic flaw. All that is external, all that depends on the outside for its existence will ultimately bring unhappiness. Joy, ananda, must spring forth from the heart without any external support, upadhi. Thus, upadhi-rahita ananda is the only real happiness. Being happy for no reason is real happiness.
   It has been stated that, "I`' is a term that stands for the very existence of the jiva". It is the jivatman.  It is the core of the substance. It is extremely difficult to know, rather, understand this concept. However, this 'I', the Self, or 'Atman' is not what is referred to here. It is the small, individualized 'i' that is insignificant that we refer to here. The term 'i' commonly used by all of us is the self, the 'ego', devoid of the knowledge of the one who he/she is! This ignorance is the maya, avidya, that makes one think: "It is there, and run after it with desire." Thus, the word we often use as 'i' is due to ignorance, avidya, maya. The reality is different. That reality is the "I", Rudra, the eternal, immortal and everlasting principle of  chaitanya, 'Energy'. The essential nature, mula svarupa, of all jiva is sat, chit and ananda
  One has to be very clear about the 'ego' that rule the jivas. This ego brings about, in its train, journey disappointments, disillusionment, and misery in the long run. Hence, almost all the saints and sages stressed the need for understanding this 'I', the Self, Atman. Ramana Maharshi used to say, find out this 'I', "naan yaar?"  
   This 'Knowledge of the Self', 'Atma jnyan' is the only path of redemption, mukti. Sri Adi Shankaracharya has given us a very simple and beautiful technique of finding out this 'I' in the principle of 'neti, neti. If we discard what all we call- 'me' and 'mine', the 'I' stands face to face! When we say, this is my head, my head is aching; this is my leg, neck, stomach or back and it is paaining, it is not the `I', but.a part of my body. Whatever is mine is not the 'I' . When all these my and mine are discarded what remains is the real 'I'., the immortal Self, 'So'ham', I AM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment